Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting to M5Stack via USB
I was able to successfully flash the esp32_psram_all firmware to the M5Stack but now I realize I'm not exactly sure how to connect to it via usb. I opened a terminal and typed in the command: screen /dev/tty.usbmodem* 115200 However it just spit out cannot exec 'dev/tty.usbmodem*': No such file or directory. How do I connect using my Mac's usb?
You can execute:
./BUILD.sh monitor
this will automatically reset your board (if it supports it)
or
minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0
or any other terminal program, like Putty. Make shure you are using the correct comm port, on Linux it will usually be /dev/ttyUSB0.
Thanks for your reply! I used ls /dev/cu.* to find out what port my device was connected to and found that it was on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART. I tried both screen and minicom options using the path I found. Both options say the resource is busy. ./BUILD.sh monitor says that no such file or directory exists. Thoughts?
I'm not very familiar with using USBtoSerial adapters on OSX.
If you could successfully flash the device, than you should be able to connect with ./BUILD.sh monitor. It uses the same serial port.

Have you entered the correct port (/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUARTin menuconfig?
→ Serial flasher config → Default serial port

You can also check if you have the correct driver for your board's usb2serial chip and serial port permissions.

You may also check Espressif forum and esp-idf repository for similar issues.
After several days of troubleshooting I found that these steps worked for me when using OS X

Step 1: Install Chip Recognition Driver
http://m5stack.com

Step 2: Enter Terminal And Install Esp Flashing Tool.
pip install esptool

Step 3: Find The Port Your Device Is Connected To.
ls /dev/cu.*

Step 4: See If You Can Connect To The Chip.
esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 --after no_reset read_mac

Step 5: Erase Flash.
esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART  --baud 115200 --after no_reset erase_flash

Step 6: Flash New Firmware.
esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after no_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000 bootloader/bootloader.bin 0xf000 phy_init_data.bin 0x10000 MicroPython.bin 0x8000 partitions_mpy.bin

Step 7: Reset The Board & Repl In.
screen /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200
Hi...I just tried that on a mac. The device I had to use started with /dev/tty.usbserial
So maybe it is just another device name to use.
Otherwise try rebooting the mac to get rid of a maybe blocking script.

pcb assembly quote