Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
project is dormant?
The ESP32 port is important to mainline - and to Damien. He's contributed quite a lot, particularly for 1.10 but his time is spent predominately on STM32 by necessity since his paying work - and boards - center on that hardware. Damien can't be responsible for everything; he just doesn't scale!  Wink

I'm trying to help contribute on the ESP32 port, notably with documentation in the last release (no ESP32 docs was a huge barrier to entry) but I'm shifting my attention to feature development for ESP32. Back-porting some Loboris code will be part of that, especially since I want some of these features available in the TinyPICO.

It's not so simple as many think however. Boris was able to implement features considering only the ESP32 port and without undertaking design reviews. As such, few of the features added can be directly ported; they simply won't be allowed by Damien unless they're solid and fit neatly without greatly compromising the other ports. There's still tremendous value in the work he's done but pulling it into mainline will not come for free. Unfortunately my day job is quite demanding so I've only got a few hours a week to spend on 'side project' work...and porting ESP32 is far from my only interest. I don't scale well either!

I've started documenting some of the Lobo features and how they might be ported to mainline. It was mostly for my own use but I'll share this as soon as I can so others can chip in and help with the back-port.

It's true that some - even exceptional developers - in the MicroPython community have been negative toward the ESP32; but they don't represent everyone. Those attitudes are mostly borne out of legitimate issues with the platform and it's good to keep them in mind. But I think the thread self-corrected with other folks pointing out that the ESP32 carves out a different niche to other hardware.

You'll have noticed that Damien has been contributing less in the forum; I believe he finds it takes a lot of energy and he can be more effective elsewhere. You'll see he's still very active in issues and pull requests. 

I would discourage starting another fork. Help me pull features back up in to mainline. I'll help guide how they should be developed and review them; if they're in good shape I'll lean on Damien to review and merge upstream. If there's a particular feature you want then start a discussion in the forum about how it could best be back-ported. Even sharing which features are key for you is helpful so we can prioritise...

Apologise for wandering across a few topics in this post, just thought it might be worthwhile sharing those thoughts!
As someone that is trying to get the MicroPython word out through a new series of MP video tutorials focused on ESP32, I really don't wan't to see another fork of a fork of mainline. I am using mainline for my tutorials, and that is where I think the focus should stay for ESP32.

Though Boris does have some cool stuff in his fork that is not in mainline (yet), mainline has been getting some ESP32 love recently, mostly because of Matt and my push and Damien has been awesome at bringing things forward, fixing bugs, and Matt and others have been working hard on the ESP32 docs too.

Mainline has some catching up to do, but it is happening, and though not as fast as everyone might like, that can be solved by people contributing to it directly, rather than forking this and diluting efforts even more.

If Boris continues his ESP32 development, awesome, but if it really is the end of dev on this fork, let's all focus on making mainline the best it can be.

Cheers,
Seon
Unexpected Maker
Great Information Smile
Thanks for information.
(04-14-2019, 11:21 PM)seonr Wrote: As someone that is trying to get the MicroPython word out through a new series of MP video tutorials focused on ESP32, I really don't wan't to see another fork of a fork of mainline. I am using mainline for my tutorials, and that is where I think the focus should stay for ESP32.

Though Boris does have some cool stuff in his fork that is not in mainline (yet), mainline has been getting some ESP32 love recently, mostly because of Matt and my push and Damien has been awesome at bringing things forward, fixing bugs, and Matt and others have been working hard on the ESP32 docs too.

Mainline has some catching up to do, but it is happening, and though not as fast as everyone might like, that can be solved by people contributing to it directly, rather than forking this and diluting efforts even more.

If Boris continues his ESP32 development, awesome, but if it really is the end of dev on this fork, let's all focus on making mainline the best it can be.

I wondered aloud over in the announcement thread if using the new C-ABI might provide an easier intermediate path: build compilable C modules from this port's best modules, which target only ESP32 where mainline is deficient, and where adding that functionality in a general way there is too much to ask.  Imagine in mainline µPy, e.g.:

Code:
import loboris_ESP32_display, loboris_ESP32_FTP, loboris_ESP32_GPS

etc.  If these are widely used, that could provide a motivation to bring them into mainline.  I wonder whether people who have build C-modules for µPy could comment on feasibility?

(04-14-2019, 01:44 AM)mattyt Wrote: If there's a particular feature you want then start a discussion in the forum about how it could best be back-ported. Even sharing which features are key for you is helpful so we can prioritise...

Not sure which forum you mean (this one or the main μPython one?).

FWIW I'd love to use the mainline ESP32 port but I rely a lot on DAC.write_timed() and as far as I'm aware only DAC.write() is currently implemented. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to C code, so I can't solve this by myself. If I can be useful any other way, please let me know.

Thanks for that link
Nice Information
Great Information.Thanks for sharing